You guys, this is such an awesome post to get to write as it means that Sandra and I have actually gotten to a rather big milestone in our blogging: we’ve been blogging for six months (as of yesterday)! And to celebrate this occasion, we’ve planned a series of three posts (including this one) to talk a bit more about ourselves, our favorite blogging moments to date and some goals for the next few months (there’s nothing like publicly stated goals to get yourself going, right?)!
Today, as the title of this post suggests, we’re going to do a Q&A and answer all of the questions you lovely lot left on our post last month! Let’s get this party started!
Sarah @ Between The Pages asked:
- What was the book that sparked your love for reading YA? I can’t quite remember if I read the Twilight series before or after The Hunger Games, but it was definitely one of those two! What I do know though, is that The Hunger Games was the first book I ever read in English (other than in class, obviously) and made me realize that I could understand everything I read which gave me the confidence to read in English more often and eventually lead to me today!
- Do you ever use a Kindle/Nook to read? I used to own an e-reader but it stopped working rather quickly, so I hadn’t used one in forever. But once I started reading blogging and signed up for NetGalley I downloaded the Kindle app on my laptop and I will use that whenever I read ARCs!
Pamela @ Starring Pamela asked:
- If you could pick any book to turn into a movie (and know it would be done right) which would you pick? Hmmm, I think I would really love to see the world and characters of Cassandra Clare’s The Infernal Devices come to life! I think it would be really great to see Victorian London on a big screen and see how these characters live the Shadowhunter life without any of today’s technologies and advancements!
- What’s your favorite color? Honestly, I don’t really have one? I’ve never really thought too much about which color I would consider a favorite. I don’t really care too much.
- If you could have any animal for a pet, what would you pick? I wouldn’t really want a pet, to be honest. I’m not really a fan of having animals inside the house/apartment (it’s how I grew up) and I don’t really see the point in getting a pet if they are outside most/all of the time.
- Which book would you recommend to someone who’s not that much into YA books? I know that VE Schwab’s Shades Of Magic trilogy isn’t technically considered YA anymore, but I think her characters are still at an age I would consider being Young Adult, so probably that one! I generally am really bad at recommending books to people, because I just simply want them to read all of my favorites!
- If you had to choose one place/city/country in the world you want to travel to the most, which one would it be? Definitely the United States (though not at this current point in time)! I’ve always wanted to go and explore both New York and parts of California! I’ve always had a bit of a fascination with New York (I partly blame Gossip Girl for this), so that’s most definitely on my list!
- So far, how has blogging met up with your expectations/or not? And why? To be quite honest, I didn’t expect it to take up as much time as it does! I don’t know if I’ve ever mentioned it to you, but I used to have a blog a couple of years ago that I used as more of a journal and I thought I knew what to expect from my experience with that – but I was wrong. Book blogging takes up a lot more time for sure as you’re doing so many more things than just blogging! You’re actually reading books which takes a good amount of time, thinking about topics to write about, writing and editing posts, etc and before you know it hours have passed! Though I have learned to take advantage of whenever I really feel like blogging and write as many posts as possible during those phases (today has been such a day!). But it’s also been a lot of fun and I feel like I’ve improved a little bit since I started doing this, so it’s definitely all worth it to me!
May @ Forever And Everly asked:
- What do you love about blogging? Hate? I am going to go with the most cliche answer (which is also very true) here and say: the community! I feel like ever since I started this book blog and became and active member of the book community I’ve been more comfortable reaching out to other members (mainly BookTubers, who weirdly always felt like they were too far away to reach, if that makes any sense?) without feeling somewhat out of place? Which I know might sound weird, but that’s how my brain was working for the longest time. I still remember the first times both Emma and Hannah replied to my tweets! I was so excited! What do I hate? Hmmm, maybe that sometimes I feel like I need to be reading a new book so I can talk about it on the blog at some point – which isn’t the healthiest thing and definitely not the best attitude to go into a book! But I’ve learned to take a step back and recognize that I can’t force myself to read anything and that it’s 100% okay not to be reading a new book – there’s other content I can post instead!
- Who are some of your favorite people? Who are we talking about here? Celebrities? Family members? Bloggers? I guess I’ll name a few for each just to be safe here! I feel like Matthew Daddario has kind of taken over my life (or brain) to some extent for the past couple of months! He is hilarious, he loves cows (don’t ask) and he just really seems like such a genuinely sweet person! I can’t help but love the guy! But also: Chris Evans. As far as family goes: my nephews are probably my favorite people because I get to act like a child with them and no one thinks twice about it (well, apart from my mom) and I love it! But I obviously also really love my parents and siblings and wouldn’t exchange them for the world (95% of the time, at least). As far as bloggers go, oh boy! I feel like I always mention the same people when it comes to this… let’s see. I’ve really been enjoying getting to know Jackie a bit more, I keep talking Amanda into reading books I also enjoy (she’s not really enjoying The Infernal Devices too much and I don’t know what to do about it) and it’s been really great meeting Christine and talking to her via Twitter! And you, obviously! You’re also currently the person with the most comments on our blog (apart from myself and Sandra, that is), so obviously, we enjoy talking to you quite a lot! 😉
- DO YOU LIKE MANGOES? Unfortunately, I don’t think I do? I haven’t ever eaten a mango before, but I’ve had it in different juices and I never liked them (knowing that I liked any other fruit/veggie in them). I’M SORRY.
- What is your #1 favorite song? I don’t know how you can be this mean, Jackie??? How on earth am I meant to answer that? I can’t just pick one song! I’m not that kind of girl. But, at the moment my favorite songs include Strip That Down by Liam Payne, Despacito by Luis Fonsi, Daddy Yankee and Justin Bieber (I do like the original too, but I’ve just really gotten used to the remix with Bieber on it – also, I just typed Timberlake instead, oops!), Dang! by Mac Miller and Anderson .Paak, Rockabye by Clean Bandit and Sean Paul and finally I’m The One by DJ Khaled and Justin Bieber (I almost typed Timberlake again… damn it)!
- If you could bring one fictional character to life, who would it be and why? Oh god, my first instinct was to go Rhysand from the A Court Of Thorns And Roses trilogy (for reasons) but I think I’ll go with Jem Carstairs instead! I love the guy so, so much and can you imagine having someone who can play the violin all day long? And says beautiful things to you at any given time? Like, yes, please!
- What is your Hogwarts House? XD I’ve actually never read Harry Potter or really looked into what Hogwarts House I’d be in, but gimme a second I’ll take some test online! I literally took three different tests and got three different houses? I’ve got Gryffindor, Hufflepuff and Gryffindor (at 33% and 29% respectively, Ravenclaw coming in third with 24%) and lastly Ravenclaw. The only house I didn’t get is Slytherin! What does that tell you about me?
- What would you say to newbie bloggers? I actually have an entire blog post all about some tips for newbie bloggers coming up next week, so I hope you don’t mind if I don’t answer this question right now!
- How has your perspective on blogging changed? I definitely quite underestimated the amount of time I would have to invest into this blog (as I mentioned in my answer to one of Marie’s questions) but I wouldn’t change it for anything! I’ve really loved having this space to talk about books for as long as I want! I think I also developed, even more, respect for bloggers who have been doing this for years and years and are still doing and loving it!
- What is your favorite food? Quite honestly? Anything my mom makes! Or, almost anything. I really love her cooking and I always love going over to my parents’ for dinner every now and then because she just makes the best food? And if it’s something from the Russian kitchen? Even better!
- What do you usually spend your time doing? I am a bit of a tv junkie, so I definitely spend a good amount of my time watching something on Netflix and if I’m not doing that, I’m usually watching a bunch of videos on YouTube! I also love to spend as much time with my nephews as possible! I love those two boys quite a lot and whenever I get to hang out with them it’s definitely a good day! Whenever I feel like blogging, I’ll probably spend most of the day doing just that – today has been such a day, actually. And obviously reading!
- Can you throw all of your favorite gifs at us? I can’t! I don’t have any saved to my laptop because I don’t really use them and like them taking up space that could be used for something else.
Analee @ Book Snacks asked:
- Would you rather be a Shadowhunter or an Antari? Hmm, I think I’d rather be part of the Shadowhunter world and get to spend time with all of the characters I have come to love in all my years of reading Cassie’s books! I can just nicely ask Magnus to portal me places whenever I feel like traveling!
- What books do you want in your possession right now (released or unreleased)? Definitely Wonder Woman: Warbringer, Warcross, All The Crooked Saints and Ace Of Shades (which is the newest release but the author has me HOOKED)! Also, I can’t believe I almost forgot about this book, BUT: Queen Of Air And Darkness (do not click that link if you aren’t all caught up on The Dark Artifices!)!!!
- What books do you wish you wrote? Hmmm, I’d say the Shadowhunter Chronicles as they are such a beloved series among readers and also because I really adore the characters and wouldn’t it be great if you got to take credit for a series you really love?
- Goals for blogging? We actually have an entire post going up all about our goals for the next six months, so I hope you don’t mind if I skip out on answering this for now! It’s coming on Saturday! 🙂
To any and all of you guys who have read all of the above (a whopping 2,100 words), thank you so much! I hope you were able to learn a little bit more about myself! Thank you to Sarah, Pamela, Marie, May, Jackie, Juliana and Analee for asking all of these questions!